Tuesday, October 26, 2010

WE DAY - A Student's Perspective (by Justin)



On Friday, October 15th, sixteen of my classmates and I attended WeDay. There were so many things I enjoyed there. Hedley, a band that I like, sang; and various speakers, like Al Gore and Rev. Jesse Jackson, inspired me.
Two brothers, Craig and Marc Kielburger, spoke about the time they read a shocking story that changed their lives fifteen years ago. Craig read that a 12 year old boy, a child labourer, got assassinated for speaking out. Craig felt he had to do something. He brought the story to class and asked if anyone would help. Eleven hands shot up in the air. That's how the organization Free the Children started. I was absolutely astonished upon hearing this.
Also that day, I heard that every time somebody 'likes' We Day on Facebook, sponsors would donate $1 to Free the Children. The monies raised would help children in third world countries gain access to clean water, education, health care and alternate income. So when I got home, I went straight to my computer and pressed the 'like' button on the WeDay Facebook page. There is power in youth to change the world.
Justin Lu (Div. 1)